Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ahhh Politics

Really, I usually try to stay away from the political conversations. Mainly, because most people are idiots. And some of these idiots are my friends and I wish to keep them so. I do not dislike someone because they would actually choose to vote for McCain/Palin and it's not that I'm not open to their point of view and/or opinions. However, I do object when the conversation begins like this...

"So I read in this email..."

At this point, I throw up my hands and walk away.

Really? You read it in an email? Well then it must be true! Oh MY GOD! I've been completely wrong about this Obama guy since 2004.

Yes, 2004 I started following Obama. I watched his campaign in 2004 and when he won the Senate seat in Illinois, I called it. You can quote me on it. I said on November 4, 2004, "That man will be President of the United States of America." I'm pretty sure I had my hand over my heart and burst into a lovely rendition of the National Anthem immediately following.

Back to subject. It's not that I can't be wrong. I just don't think I am. And on November 4th, 2008, I believe this country will prove me right. Maybe I should send out a mass email. Quote the bible (even if incorrectly), accuse McCain of being in the KKK (he's white right?), Palin of being a lesbian goat herder, etc. etc. etc. I don't need actual facts. I just need idiots to hit forward and spread the crap across the globe. The sad truth is, some people will buy it. They'll eat it up with a spoon. And then, they will be at my desk saying, "So I read this email..."

Ugh.

Let me explain something, I work Oil & Gas. In Texas. In a predominately white office of wealthy men with big gas guzzling trucks and their own airplanes. There are 27 people who work IN my office (we have guys in the field). This is how the political party statistics work within the office:

Republicans: 26 Democrats: 1

Guess who that one is?

Yes. Me.

Just call me Token. Everyone else here does. In fact, we recently hired two new guys. Both out of the military. One from Alaska (eek!). While they were being brought around and introduced to everyone, I was introduced as a democrat.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't agree with 90% of the crap that spews out of these peoples mouths, but I like them. They are good, yet misguided, people. They also have lots o' money (mainly the men). They fall into the $250k plus a year that will be affected by Obama's economical plan. I wont. Over half this office will not.

They also have never "offended" me or treated me without respect. However, at least once a day, one or more will stop by my desk and bring up something about Obama. Often in ignorance. I tolerate it. Why? Because I know I will walk into this office on November 5th with a big grin on my face. I will not have to say anything. And the line to my office will begin to the right (no pun intended).

I have no idea where I'm going with this. Basically, don't forward or attempt to discuss with me any email that you have not already fact-checked, sanity-checked, or biased-checked. I don't want opinions. I want facts. I want to discuss the issues and the platforms ONLY.

NOT who has a bigger American flag pin or a nice rack (yes, this somehow is important to some in this election). If you are going to come at me with a quote, you better have the entire context of that quote.

And don't forward me ANYTHING.

One last thing, if you still believe Barack Hussein Obama to be a terrorist, I hope that you at least stopped for a second when you heard Collin Powell is officially backing Obama and thought, even for such a fleeting moment, "Wait! That guy wouldn't back a terrorist!" No. No he wouldn't.

No comments: